Match Reports :-

 GLASGOW CITY v SPARTANS - S.W.P.L. - Sunday 24th. May 2009

City Go Top With One Game To Go

Glasgow City moved to the top of the Premier League following today’s crucial 4-2 win over Spartans at Glasgow Green.

With one game left to go in the race for the Championship, City have now taken a monumental step towards the title. A point against Hibernian on Thursday will secure a second title in a row for Glasgow City.

A win for Spartans today would have pushed the title in favour of the Edinburgh outfit and they got off to the perfect start, taking the lead within the first five minutes. A cross from wide left seemed to be held well by Laura Williamson in the City goals, but uncharacteristically she let the ball slip from her grasp, with Hayley Lauder on hand to accept the gift and put her team in front from only two yards out.

City rallied well and equalised through Suzanne Lappin with a trademark bullet header from an Emma Fernon corner.

Leanne Ross and Megan Sneddon then had good chances to put City ahead but neither were able to convert inside the box.

Just before half time, City were punished for not taking the advantage when a free kick at the edge of the City box was converted by Molly McKean to put the away side back into the lead.

Half time 2-1 to Spartans.

In the second half, City dominated and it was no surprise when they equalised eleven minutes after the break. A scramble in the box after a City corner saw Leanne Ross have an effort blocked on the line, with striker Ruesha Littlejohn on hand to fire in the rebound into the back of the net.

Littlejohn then had a chance to put City in the lead when one on one with Spartans keeper Jo Hutcheson but the Edinburgh keeper saved well.

The home side did, however, eventually take the lead. A great through ball from Lappin to Jane Ross, saw the City striker home in on goal and convert well passed the despairing Hutcheson in the Spartans goals.

City finally put the game beyond Spartans when Ruesha Littlejohn latched on to yet another great pass from Lappin and lobbed Hutcheson for the best strike of the game.

City Boss Peter Caulfield commented on the match.

He said, “We didn’t start as well as we would have wanted and conceded a really poor goal. That then put us on the back foot, but when we scored the equaliser I thought it would settle our obvious nerves. However, we went behind again at the stroke of half time, the worst possible time and we had to pick ourselves up for the second 45 minutes. Thankfully we did just that. We told the girls just to relax and play their own game and we settled a lot more in the second half. The players seemed to focus more and we passed the ball a lot better and created more opportunities. I felt we really dominated the second period and deserved our win.”

 Click Here for PHOTO REPORT